- Mon-Sat 08:00 - 08:00
Sunday 08:00 - 06:00
Jaundice is a condition where a person skin and eyes turn yellow. It is a medical term to define this phenomenon. While most people think that jaundice is an illness, that is not so. Jaundice is actually a symptom of many different types of underlying medical conditions. Jaundice happens when there is an excess of Bilirubin in the body. In case you notice that you have jaundice, getting a Jaundice Test can be vital to understanding your symptoms and take the necessary treatment. A Jaundice Test can help both in assessing if your Bilirubin levels are high as well as the cause of your symptoms so that the right treatment can be administered and the condition can be resolved at the earliest. A Jaundice Test generally includes a Serum Bilirubin Test and Urine Test along with a Blood Test. The phlebotomist takes your blood sample, which takes only a few minutes. The sample is then sent to the lab to perform the tests included in a Diagnostic Test for Jaundice.
Why Jaundice Testing is important?
Bilirubin is a yellow-orange coloured pigment created when dead red blood cells in the body break down in the liver. Usually the liver filters out the Bilirubin in the body along with old red blood cells, however, when there is a problem in this process Bilirubin levels in the body exceed causing yellowing of the skin, eyes, etc. Jaundice can indicate problems of the liver, gallbladder, red blood cells, or pancreas. While some of the causes for Jaundice can be benign and self limiting, some can be severe and potentially life threatening.
Some of the reasons why jaundice can occur are:
- Hepatitis - Hepatitis is generally an infection of the liver caused by a virus. There are different types of hepatitis caused by different viruses. Hepatitis can be both acute and chronic. Depending on your symptoms, a doctor may suggest specific Hepatitis Test over and above Jaundice Test of Serum Bilirubin Test in Faridabad.
- Alcohol- related liver conditions - Alcohol consumption over a long period of time, generally, 8-10 years can severely impact the liver. Some serious conditions of the liver caused by alcohol are alcoholic hepatitis and liver cirrhosis.
- Blocked bile ducts - bile ducts carry bile from the liver and gall bladder to the small intestine. In certain cases, they may get blocked by gallbladder stones, cancer, or some rare liver diseases. In such a case, jaundice may be a symptom. A doctor may advise a CBC & LFT with a Jaundice Test to determine if there is an obstruction. An ultrasound or CT scan can also help in diagnosis along with a Direct Bilirubin Test.
- Pancreatic Cancer - Pancreatic cancer can cause an obstruction of the bile ducts which in turn can cause jaundice.
- Medications - Certain medicines like paracetamol, birth control pills, and steroids can also lead to liver diseases.
Getting a Jaundice Test is the best way to determine the reason for your condition.
How Jaundice Test is performed in Faridabad?
A Jaundice Test can include tests like Complete Hemogram, Liver Function Test, Urine Test, Serum Bilirubin Test. A Bilirubin Test can help in checking if the bilirubin levels are high; the other tests can help in understanding the reasons for the same. If you notice a yellowing of your skin or eyes then it is advisable to get a Jaundice Test so as to get treated before there is serious damage.